The Church of the Assumption is a Roman Catholic place of worship located in Penang. It is one of the oldest structures here which was founded by Captain Francis Light and his group way back in 1786. Today, the Church of the Assumption stands among the prominent churches here where it belongs to the Penang Diocese.
That year, Captain Francis Light came to Penang and founded the church at Farquhar Street where it would continue to grow into becoming one of the major churches here. Between 1955 and 2003, the Church of the Assumption was the seat of the Penang Bishop while it is a World Heritage Church as well.
The church got its name in conjunction with the feast of the Assumption of The Blessed Mary that year after naming Penang, the Prince of Wales Island. The Church of the Assumption would then become the first Roman Catholic church in the northern parts of Peninsular Malaysia. In fact, it would become the first church built by the British which would then undergo expansions and renovations later.
In the 1950s, the Church of the Assumption and St John’s Cathedral Kuala Lumpur were given cathedral status and it served as the main church for the northern region with many diocesan activities. Later on, the main functions of the diocese were moved to other churches and in 2003, the bishop’s seat and the cathedral status were move to the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit. The church carries out Saturday and Sunday masses for its members as well as a Sunset Mass in English.
Name: Church of the Assumption
Address: Jalan Love Lane,
Tel: 04-261 0088